Friday, August 20, 2010

100-Day Real Food Challenge

rBGH. BPA. GMO's. Infected Beef. 280 million eggs recalled. Children hitting puberty as young as 7. Child Cancers on the Rise. Autism Rates Sky-Rocketing. Aspartame. Fluoride controversy. Silly Putty ingredient found in McDonald's chicken nuggets. Obesity Rates out-of-control.

These are just a few of the headlines we've read over the past several years. As a mom, every time I read one I am scared to death. What am I really feeding my kids?

Five years ago we bought chickens and began eating fresh eggs. A few years later we put some cows in the backyard and filled our freezer with fresh beef. We drank organic milk but that was really about it. I'm the type of person who has a tendency to stay away from market trends. And that is what the whole "organic" movement seemed like to me. Like a fad, similar to the diet crazes we see so often that usually leave people broke and still overweight.

But the more and more headlines like those above that appeared, the more suspicious I became. A friend of ours recommended a movie called Food, Inc. My husband and I rented it on Netflix and by the time it was finished I vowed never to eat fast food, or non-organic food period, again.

For so long I simply put my trust in the people in charge of approving or disapproving of the preservatives and other ingredients added to our food. But that trust is no more. I cannot begin to under$tand how the$e thing$ are approved. From now on, I will decide what goes into our bodies.

The purpose of this blog is to track my progress with the decision to challenge myself to 100 days of eating real food. I was turned on to this idea by a blog I found called 100 Days of Real Food. Then we ran across Food: The Ultimate Secret Exposed. I decided that from now on I will take better advantage of our local Farmer's Markets and pay better attention to what food stocks my pantry. Since organic food is slightly more expensive than non, we'll have to cut out some of the "snacks" and eat less often. Which also works to our advantage.

I'm being realistic about the challenge and am not expecting to cut out all processed foods right away. It will take time. It will be the most difficult for me because I am the big junk-food junkie, with my secret stash of Butterfinger's and Lindor truffles. So often I blame the way I feel on my thyroid and other factors but in reality I think diet plays the biggest role in how we feel.

I will consider the challenge successful if I can cut out 75% of the garbage. That means no more fast food, all organic fruits and vegetables, no more frozen pancakes or other products that include more than 50% of unidentifiable ingredients. Whole Foods Market here I come.

So why not join me on the journey? It begins September 1! Are you game?

5 comments:

Rebeca said...

Good for you Sylvia! It definitely takes more work to eat "real", but once you get in the hang of it it's not such a big deal. We eat this way, and I feel like it's a gift I'm giving to my children, to start them out in life with the best food and a foundation for good health. Of course health is a gift from God, but so is real food, so let's use what He gave us! There is just SO much junk out there, and it's very sad. The government and the FDA do not care about our health as far as I'm concerned. Like you said, it's up to us as parents to make sure we're giving our kids good healthy food.
Nourishing Traditions is an excellent cookbook, and Nina Planck's Real Food books are also good.
Saving Naturally is a good website with links and tips on saving money and eating real food.
I hope your challenge goes very well!
Rebeca

Melinda said...

I'm with you, sister! I'm going "make it all from scratch" and my nemesis -- Ritz Crackers! I broke us from the Pop Tart/Breakfast cereal habit (my college age boys come home and lament "There's no food!") but the cracker thing is tough. Also Ranch dressing. . yes, I've made it from scratch, but family is rebelling, LOL! Still two kids at home so I am outnumbered 3-1. . I am 15 years into Hypothyroidism, so I feel your pain. .

viviane said...

this is not an easy task. we have been eating this way before ever having our children, so it was helpful to teach them from babies to eat this way. this means feeding my kids before going to a friend's birthday party, maybe stashing some homemade treats and o.k. candy as alternatives. we pack our own snacks for coffee hour at our church. i refuse to feed my kids donuts. joining a csa has been a good thing too. hope you stay strong. i look foward to try your waffle recipe. viviane

Janelle thegeekywife said...

May I recommend author Michael Pollan?

I've read 2 of his 3 books, Food Rules and In Defense of Food.

We gave up American "cheese" a few years back after I read about it in In Def Of Food.

That said, I still have such a long way to go!

I just heard the other day that you can make your own marshmallows. WHO KNEW? LOL

Martha said...

Is that really a photo of YOU? I love it...so artistic with all the colours of vegetables and fruit!

I think Michael Pollan is excellent, too.

How is it going so far...been about 40 days so far, right?